Thursday, February 03, 2011

The Complexities of Cornflowers


Recently, my husband has developed an obsession for distinguishing colors. If you read the recent debacle, then you know we had a dispute over the specific variations of the colors orange and tangerine. Based on his clear and unshakable stance on the side of the latter, I have come to the conclusion that Nathan needs to leave the color distinguishing up to me.

My mother and I frequently make up our own Crayola Crayon colors.  Ever since I was a kid, we would point out a color and make up a new name for it; such as: Zesty Blue (named after a favorite shirt of mine), Granny Apple Guacamole (a.k.a. the color of mom’s office walls), Hazelnut Latte (the color of the Drury Inn off exit 4 in Paducah), Mushroom Gray, Baby Puke Green, & the ever so creative Horse Poo Brown (I think that one might have been created out of a bad situation when dad let a horse loose in the front yard…).

Since Nathan is fully aware that I have a knack for putting a name to very oddly specific color variations, He frequently asks me to name colors for him, and I oblige because, let’s face it, I’m only creative in a linguistic capacity.
So the other day we were walking through the store and he pointed out a very specific shade of blue.  “What would you call that?” he asked.  “Well, that’s just plain ole’ Cornflower Blue” I said.  

“CORNFLOWER?!? What the heck is cornflower?!?”  “Well,” I went on to tell him, “Cornflowers are actual flowers, and that’s what color they are.  It was a very popular color for living room wallpaper in 1972.”

“Who in the world names colors after REAL THINGS?” he exclaimed!


I paused for a moment, slowly turned away from my shopping cart, looked him dead in the eyes and said “TANGERINE”!

2 comments:

~Stephanie said...

. . . orange, or peach, or rose red, or grape, or sand, or, well, I think we've made our point. :)

MichaelPolutta said...

Has he never seen CorningWare?