Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Entitled

I was at Meijer the other night, getting some pasta salad from the deli, when a woman walked up behind me and asked for a rotisserie chicken.  The man behind the counter very politely replied, "I'm sorry ma'am, our rotisserie is broken and we're waiting for a part to come in so we can fix it".

Immediately, the woman replied (in a voice loud enough that the whole deli heard her), "HONESTLY?!  WHAT AM I SUPPOSED TO DO FOR DINNER NOW?!?!?!"

I walked away shaking my head and feeling very sorry for that woman.  Does she think that she is owed a chicken?  Is she completely incapable of walking through the store FILLED with food and finding something else to eat? What gives her the right to yell at the deli boy, and then walk away trying to get my attention so she could complain further?

Now, I'm about as spoiled as they come.  I have my own car, a closet FULL of clothes, two ipods (well, until they both broke last month), a tv and a cabinet full of movies, a house, a bed, a kitchen full of food, lots of friends and a lovely and wonderful family.  But over the few years of my life, I have realized that I am entitled to NONE of this, no matter how hard I work for any of it.  It's not mine, it doesn't belong to me, and I certainly don't deserve it, no matter how badly I want a chicken.

My reasoning?

God is only letting me use all of this stuff.  He didn't have to put me in the family I ended up in, and He definitely didn't have to give me everything I've ever wanted.  I shouldn't forget that I'm richer than 97% of the world.  For instance, it's really, really hard to feel like I deserve anything when I have friends who going without many extraneous things, and some things I would probably still consider essential, in order to adopt children from impoverished, disease ridden countries.  It's hard to feel like I'm not blessed beyond measure when I know of at least 5 recent instances where families have lost their newborn babies.  it's terribly difficult to not feel blessed when I have a husband who quit his job to spend more time with his family and God has still given us the money we've needed to pay all our bills and then some.

So God, if I ever freak out because I don't get my rotisserie chicken, I apologize.  I may be spoiled, but I'm working on appreciating it :)

3 comments:

~Stephanie said...

HEY! I resent that! You may be rotten, but you are NOT spoiled! But, yes, you are MOST blessed, as are we all.

I love your attitude, daughter. I am daily trying to remind myself of the same things. "I am not entitled to chicken, I am not entitled to chicken . . ."

Sara said...

Love reading your thoughts...and they often mirror many of my own convictions. May we all see the hand of God at work within us to shape us into his likeness.

E.T.'s Mom said...

I like this. Really, really like it.