Thursday, August 05, 2010

40 Days and 40 Nights



Appropriately, it rained today. Not just rain...serious thunderstorms. Clouds that turned the sky black and lighting that made it turn purplish-gray. It was excellent.

Yes, today is day 40.


Significant things:

- The letters of the word "forty" are in alphabetical order; this is the only number that has this linguistic property in the English language.

- Negative forty is the temperature at which the Fahrenheit and Celsius scales correspond; that is, −40°F = −40°C. It is referred to as either "minus forty" or "forty below".

- Ali Baba had forty thieves.

- Ronald Reagan was the 40th president of the United States.


In the year 1940:

- Cartoon character Elmer Fudd made his debut in the animated short Elmer's Candid Camera; also Bugs Bunny made his debut in the Oscar-nominated cartoon short, A Wild Hare.

- Axis powers Adolf Hitler and Benito Mussolini met at Brenner Pass in the Alps and formed an alliance against France and the U.K.

- Winston Churchill, in his first address as Prime Minister, told the House of Commons, "I have nothing to offer you but blood, toil, tears, and sweat."

- Nazi Germany began the Blitz Kreig on London (the first of 57 consecutive nights of strategic bombing).

- Again, many other things happened in this year....but mostly war related. Not much but more bombing, death and destruction...and I don't really feel like bogging down my baby blogging with all of that nonsense.


In the movies:

In 1940, Disney released two box office smashers, Pinocchio and Fantasia. Also in this year, Lawrence Olivier starred in Alfred Hitchcock's Rebecca, Cary Grant, Katharine Hepburn and Jimmy Stewart told us The Philadelphia Story, Charlie Chaplin let the world laugh at Nazi Germany in The Great Dictator, and Henry Fonda took The Grapes of Wrath from paper to the big screen.



In other news:

This really is just a waiting game now. We're down to the wire...the time of "she could come any second and it would be okay, but it could still be another month and a half of waiting". I've gotten a large part of the baby laundry done, and the crib is all put together and ready to be slept in. We had another appointment with our midwife last night, and she said Mayah's head is pushing down even further and that everything is still "perfect". We also got to meet her assistant, who is nothing like I expected....really I don't know what I expected, but a young, red-headed girl was just not what I pictured. She's really sweet though, and seems like she'll definitely be a good asset to have around when the time comes!

Sunday is our 2 year anniversary, and the following weekend is my birthday :) Mom and Nana are coming up to visit me and do "girly birthday" stuff with me all weekend! They're also bringing the remainder of the items from our baby shower (the ones we couldn't fit into our car), so I'll have more laundry to do and Nathan will have more things to put together!! :) That Sunday we are having another baby shower with our church here in Indy....I'm very excited to hopefully get the last few things that we need and finish putting everything baby-related together.

Also, I got a raise! Super exciting, and extremely well-timed! It wasn't just a little "inflation" raise either...it was a "we love you and think you're doing an amazing job" kind of raise. Thank you God for taking care of us when we ask you to...and even when we forget to ask you. :)

As for now, I'm very much enjoying crossing each day off the calendar. Even if I don't blog every day, I still know that it's getting closer, and that is excellent news. As a celebration of my soon-to-be returning abilities to sleep on my stomach, drink caffeine, and breathe in second hand smoke, I used my portion of a gift card to order a new coffee thermos. It has the "Rays" logo on it, which makes me a pretty happy girl...especially since they are now ahead of the Yankees in the AL East. If you read this, just take a moment to remind my little brother that his team is losing. Sincere thanks :)


P.S. I really miss sleeping on my stomach.

1 comment:

~Stephanie said...

Rebecca is one of my favorite movies.

So proud of your "performance raise"! I'm glad they realize how valuable you are!