Wednesday, July 28, 2010
Today's number is.....you guessed it.....48!
- 48 is the retired number of President Gerald Ford's jersey at the University of Michigan.
- 48 Hours is a television news program on CBS.
- Arizona was the 48th state to join the Union.
- 48 is the number of Ptolemaic constellations.
In the Year 1948:
- Indian pacifist and leader Mahatma Gandhi was assassinated by Nathuram Godse.
- The United States Supreme Court ruled that religious instruction in public schools violated the U.S. Constitution.
- The Hells Angels motorcycle gang was founded in California.
- The World Health Organization was established by the United Nations.
- President Truman signed Executive Order 9981, ending racial segregation in the United States Armed Forces.
In the Movies:
Hamlet, starring Laurence Olivier, opened in the United States. A few other notable titles...The first screen adaptation of Charles Dickens' Oliver Twist, two blockbusters starring Humphrey Bogart - The Treasure of the Sierra Madre and Key Largo - and a personal favorite of mine, Alfred Hitchcock's, Rope...the story of the "perfect" crime. If you've never seen it, I highly recommend it :-)
In other news:
We have another appointment with our midwife tomorrow, but as of two weeks ago everything was "perfect" :-) She said my weight gain is right on track, the baby is in position, and everything looks good to go...it's just a waiting game now. Mayah gets this hiccups about 12 times a day, and Nathan is still thoroughly amused when he can see her little feet stick out of my side....it's all fun and games till she gets up under my ribcage and makes me want to scream.
Right now it is 2 a.m., and my husband and I cannot sleep, so we're going to watch Stranger Than Fiction...another personal favorite. :-) To all of you who are sleeping...congratulations.