Monday, July 26, 2010
The Big 5-0
Yep, it's a big day.
13 days from now we celebrate our 2 year anniversary, and 18 days from now, I will turn 24.
The number 50 has so many things associated with it that this could be the longest blog known to man...I'll try to prevent that from happening :)
- Paul Simon listed 50 Ways to Leave Your Lover
- Adam Sandler had 50 First Dates with Drew Barrymore
- There are 50 states in the U.S.
- There are 50 chapters in the book of Genesis
- JFK is on the .50 cent piece, or the half dollar
- Speaking of .50 cent....he's a rapper
- There was the Attack of the 50 ft. Woman
- People who celebrate their Golden Anniversary have reached 50 years of marriage. Per the name, the gift for this celebration is supposed to be gold.
- 50 is the retired number of the former North Carolina basketball player Tyler Hansbrough
- 50 is the atomic number of tin
In The Year 1950:
- President Harry S. Truman ordered the development of the hydrogen bomb, in response to the detonation of the Soviet Union's first atomic bomb in 1949.
- Uruguay beat Brazil 2–1 to win the 1950 World Cup.
- The comic strip Peanuts, by Charles M. Schulz was first published in seven U.S. newspapers.
- Shirley Temple announced her retirement from show business.
- Mt. Etna erupted in Sicily.
- There were plenty of other things happening in this year, but they mostly had to do with bombs and wars...and frankly, I didn't feel like listing them all.
In the Movies:
There was only a small handful of movies released this year, the big four being Cinderella, All About Eve, Sunset Blvd. and one of my very favorite classics, Harvey. If you've never seen Harvey, go rent it next Easter ;)