Wednesday, June 16, 2010
We're getting closer!
I'm entering my third trimester, and I can see my baby girl roll over on a daily basis....again, freaky but cool.
Now, for the countdown facts of the day!
Significant things associated with the number 90:
- I learned during the World Cup that all professional soccer matches are 90 minutes long...unless of course they go into extra minutes...to be honest, I don't pay attention to sports where the score ends up being 1-0 on a regular basis :)
- The right angle is a 90 degree measurement.
- In baseball, the bases are 90 feet apart. This, I will teach my children.
- Nolan Ryan of the Texas Rangers pitched a no-hitter against the Oakland Athletics on June 11, 1990.
- The latitude of the North Pole and the South Pole are 90 degrees.
- In the year 1990:
- Nelson Mandela was released from Prison.
- Joseph Hazelwood was put on trial for the Exxon Valdez oil spill.
- Mikhail Gorbachev was elected the first executive president of the Soviet Union.
- The Hubble Space Telescope was launched.
- (For my mom) - When the Stephen King novel The Stand was re-issued as a "Complete and Uncut Edition", the setting of the story was changed from 1980 to 1990.
In the movies: Julia got her Knight in Shining Armor, John McClane "Died Harder", The Corleone's came back for thirds, and Michael J. Fox went even farther back for thirds. Macaulay Culkin got left at home, Arnold went to Mars and then discovered he did not have "a tuma", Johnny trimmed lots of hedges, and Scorsese made the mob look "good". Costner learned to dance, Demi made some pottery, the Red October was hunted, Warren Beatty saved the world while wearing a yellow trench coat, Keifer, Kevin and Julia flatlined, and Kathy Bates made everyone miserable. Meg and Tom began their onscreen romance, the cowabunga dudes ate lots of pizza, and the Memphis Belle flew its last mission. Overall, it was a pretty great year for movies.
What are your memories from 1990?