Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Movie Monday (Except it's Wednesday...?)

So I have decided to put my blog to a more practical use (but only occassionally). I think that I'm going to review all the new movies I watch, basically because I think that would be the coolest job in the world, and it will give me something with which to fill the voids between funny stories. :)

Just to give you an idea of whether or not we have a similar taste in movie choices, you should go to my profile and read my list of favorites. Once you've determined for yourself that I love every movie ever made, note that my top three favorites are The Lion King, Love Actually and Batman Begins. I avoid scary movies at all costs because they make me have nightmares. I'm not a huge chick flick lover, unless it's really good, and I really only list a movie as a favorite on about one out of every hundred that I watch. So maybe I can help you choose the next time you go to rent a movie (my reviews will be mostly on current rentals rather than box office hits, since we're young and broke ;)

The only two movies we've gone out to see recently are Yes Man and Seven Pounds.

Yes Man was absolutely hysterical...but only if you're a Jim Carrey fan. His over the top, dramatic flair for every syllable he utters leaves you wanting a nap after you've watched the movie, but all in all it was a cute flick. While it was extremely predictable (as all romantic comedies usually are) there were moments of surprise, along with one moment of sheer terror. Literally, one part in the movie made me shudder so hard that I'm pretty sure my shoulders were a little blue afterwards. Needless to say, this one moment took this movie completely out of the child appropriate range, but besides the 30 seconds of horror, the rest of the movie was very enjoyable. But really, you should only see it if Jim Carrey has never been one to get on your nerves.

Seven Pounds...well, it's interesting. I don't believe I've ever left a movie with such mixed feelings before. While the movie leaves you with a slightly renewed faith in humanity, it also left me feeling complacent with the sin that's occurred...not a feeling I'm okay with. Overall, the acting was incredible, the story was brilliant, and it left me bawling like a baby at the end (which has only happened in two movies. Ever)...but I can't get past the fact that the unselfishness in the movie was all based around one man's selfishness. His drive to make things right and even out the world stemmed from his own mistakes, but they were fueled by a selfish desire to be at peace with himself (which I fear never happened). It definitely leaves you with a greater appreciation for the good things in your life, but I was so mixed up by complacency and decency that I still can't decide if I truly liked it or not. I would vote to see this one, but go into it with your good judgement goggles on :)

Swing Vote: We rented this one the other night and it was almost exactly what I expected. Cute, heartwarming, and more predictable than a turn by turn gps. Kevin Costner cussed like a sailor through the whole movie, but that's part of the "point" of the story. My favorite part was when his daughter told him to quit using Jesus as a swear word, because He's a billion peoples' savior...so the point was well made. All in all, it was enjoyable, but I'll bet you that anybody who hadn't seen the movie could have told me how it ended before I watched it. But if you're in a very "redeeming quality" kind of mood, this would be an excellent choice.

Current rentals: The Mummy: Tomb of the Dragon Emperor, and Mamma Mia. I'll let you know how they were :)

Oh, and please feel free to argue, debate or better, yet agree.

3 comments:

OUR FAMILY... said...

So I would have to agree with you about 7 pounds. We went to go see it the day after Christmas and left feeling... unsettled. It wasn't at all what I expected. The sadest part of the whole movie was that he thought he could redeem himself for his wrongs. It was a great teaching tool for my kids though. All in all I'd encourage others to go and see the movie. But, yes, bring your good judgement goggles!

~ Stephanie. said...

I LOVED 7 pounds. Gave me some great Jesus analogies . . . giving his life for others. Only, Jesus determined we were all unworthy and gave his life to save us anyway . . .

Mama Mia: Hmmmm. While I am an Abba fan, some things are better left on a life stage. 'Nuff said.

Kacey Leigh said...

Analogies are cool and all...but nobody is Jesus except Jesus. Sacrifice is one thing, but there's a difference in ultimate sacrfice and self redemption.