Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Foreign Tap Water

Starting a new Job: It's like spending the night in someone else's house, and getting up in the middle of the night to get a drink. You take a big, middle-of-the-night-lips-dried-out-incredibly-thirsty kind of swig, only to discover that their tap water is not nearly up to par with yours. There's probably not really anything wrong with theirs, it's just so much different than yours that you almost spit it out. You swallow that first gulp reluctantly, dump out the rest of your glass, and then sneak a peek in the fridge to see if they have any chocolate milk.

I took a big swig of some nasty mineral water. I'm dying for some chocolate milk now. I'm gonna have to wash this down with something good.

4 comments:

~ Stephanie. said...

Interesting analogy. Now I know why there's always less milk in the fridge when you come home...

I think starting a new job is really more like that recurring dream when you forget to wear shoes. You just feel unprepared and a little apprehensive about where to step next.

SEE YOU FRIDAY!!!!!!!

Kacey Leigh said...

I've never had that dream. And it's not being unprepared that I was trying to illustrate, but simply how stinky it is when you leave a job you loved and then get another job, hoping it will be similar in the working environment style, and then it's exacty opposite of what you think. It's like swallowing that tap water, or ordering a sprite and the waitress brings you a water. Very similar feeling in the pit of my stomach right now.

E.T.'s Mom said...

Oh dear me, Kacey, that's discouraging. Is there any chance you had a bad start and things are goind to get way better?

MichaelPolutta said...

That "icky drink" thing makes me think of flat Sprite. One of the worst tastes ever. Sprite is *okay* when fully carbonated. But flat... eww.